Windows 7 64-bit Beta is not something I ever tried, or even run currently. It’s obviously now September in 2012 and Windows 8 is nearing a release, and Windows 8 Beta is out obviously too. I don’t honestly plan on spending another $150 on an OS that just has better Direct X graphics and more eye candy. Anyways, I was trying to get my friends old Linksys WMP54G to work on this machine running the regular Windows 7 64-bit, non beta version. Why?, well my ethernet cord wasn’t plugged in all the way on the modem side (I didn’t know this until now). So I decided to use this card to fix this issue of the internet “not working”.
I did get it to work, and here’s how.
1) First off, obtain the driver from this location and install it first. It’s the RT2500 installer which is coming from RAlink which I know is different than Linksys but, LS uses an RAlink chipset I think so that’s why you must use their driver instead, and Linksys doesn’t have this driver on their site for Windows 7. You have to install this manually to get it working.
2) Go to Device Manager, check the image below to make sure your in the right place. You get there by right clicking on Computer after clicking on the Start menu button, then by clicking on Manage. A window will open showing “Device Manager” in the left side.
3) Now right click on Network Controller and click on Update Driver.
4) Now click on the button “Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer”. In the very next window, move down to Network Adapters and double click it, then click Have Disk. When that window comes up, go over to this path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Driver
Now hit OK then scroll down to “Ralink Technology Corp” in that box on the very left side. Then on the right side click on 8″02.11b/g Wireless Adapter”.
Now click YES on this warning that will show up in next window, which you will see in the image below.
Now you want to attempt to connect to your wireless network.
In the beginning I was looking for the original driver shown in the link at the very top of this article and it kept taking me to a page saying “The requested URL was moved or broken“. I can’t say how many times I was directed to that page before I finally found the fix shown in the link below this sentence, thank you Phish This.
Via Phish This